Mario Batali's Fennel Pomegranate Crostini
Fennel Pomegranate Crostini Recipe: Hot pepper flakes and jalapeno add a touch of heat to this otherwise refreshing toast.
- 1 Baguette (sliced into thin crostini)
- 6 Garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Lemons (juiced and zested)
- 1 teaspoon Hot Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Jalapeno (sliced)
- 1 bulb Fennel (shaved paper thin)
- 2 ounces Pecorino Pepato (shaved or grated)
- 1/4 cup Pomegranate Seeds
- Salt and freshly ground Pepper
Festive Low-Calorie Appetizers - 1
1 Baguette (sliced into thin crostini)
6 Garlic cloves
Toast the crostini on a sheet tray in a 400 degree F oven until golden brown. Remove from oven and rub each crostini with garlic.
3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Lemons (juiced and zested)
1 teaspoon Hot Red Pepper Flakes
1 Jalapeno (sliced)
1 bulb Fennel (shaved paper thin)
2 ounces Pecorino Pepato (shaved or grated)
1/4 cup Pomegranate Seeds
Salt and freshly ground Pepper
In a large bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice and zest, hot red pepper flakes, jalapeno, fennel, pecorino, and pomegranate and toss everything to coat. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Mound on the crostini and serve.
1. Slice the bread into thin strips to save calories.
2. Prep the fennel ahead of time -- you can cut the fennel up to an hour and a half in advance.
3. Rub a little garlic on the toast to get the flavor without it being overwhelming.