A simple preparation of melted butter and cheese delivers intense flavor.
- 1 1/2 pounds dried fettuccine
- 1 stick butter (unsalted)
- 1 large shallot (finely minced)
- 1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano (freshly grated; plus more for garnish)
- 1/3 cup Parsley (chopped; plus more for garnish)
- Olive Oil
- kosher salt and freshly grated black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta one minute less than the package instructions.
- Meanwhile, place a large saute pan over medium heat and add 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil to the pan. Add the shallots and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until just tender. Add the butter and swirl it in the pan to melt. Add the parsley.
- Drain the pasta, reserving some of the water, and add it to the pan. Add about 1/4 cup of pasta water to the pasta and add the Parmesan and toss to combine, cooking for about 1 minute more. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Plate and garnish with more cheese and more parsley. Serve immediately.
- Helpful Tips:
1. Aggressively season the pasta water; the water will become part of the sauce.
2. Add the pasta water to the pan to stop the shallots from cooking.