A simple preparation of melted butter and cheese delivers intense flavor.
- step-by-step directions
- 1 1/2 pounds dried fettuccine
- 1 stick butter (unsalted)
- 1 large shallot (finely minced)
- 1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano (freshly grated; plus more for garnish)
- 1/3 cup Parsley (chopped; plus more for garnish)
- Olive Oil
- kosher salt and freshly grated black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta one minute less than the package instructions.
- Meanwhile, place a large saute pan over medium heat and add 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil to the pan. Add the shallots and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until just tender. Add the butter and swirl it in the pan to melt. Add the parsley.
- Drain the pasta, reserving some of the water, and add it to the pan. Add about 1/4 cup of pasta water to the pasta and add the Parmesan and toss to combine, cooking for about 1 minute more. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Plate and garnish with more cheese and more parsley. Serve immediately.
- Helpful Tips:
1. Aggressively season the pasta water; the water will become part of the sauce.
2. Add the pasta water to the pan to stop the shallots from cooking.
Cannelloni al Forno
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat