Try this dish at your next summer picnic.
Firecracker Deviled Corn Dogs
- Vegetable Oil for Deep-frying
- 1 cup Flour
- 2 tablespoons Superfine Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 2 teaspoons Dry Mustard
- 2 teaspoons Sweet Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder or Granulated Onion
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder or Granulated Garlic
- 3/4 cup Cornmeal
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups Milk
- 8 All-natural Pork or Beef Hotdogs
- Mustard or Sauces of Choice
- Kosher Salt and Pepper
- Fill a countertop fryer with oil or pour 21⁄2 inches of oil into a large Dutch oven. Heat the oil to 350°F. (The oil is ready when a 1-inch cube of white bread cooks to golden brown in 40 seconds.)
- Preheat the oven to 275°F and place a cooling rack over a baking sheet (to keep the corn dogs crispy after frying).
- Meanwhile, sift the flour, sugar, and baking powder into a bowl. Stir in the mustard, paprika, cayenne (if using hot sauce, add it to the wet ingredients), onion powder, garlic powder, and salt and pepper. Stir in the cornmeal. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, 1 cup milk, hot sauce (if using), and 2 tablespoons oil. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon until smooth. Add up to 1⁄2 cup more milk, if needed, until the mixture has the consistency of pancake batter.
- Pat the dogs dry and skewer them the long way, leaving some of the skewer exposed. Dip the dogs into the batter to coat and fry 2 to 3 at a time to deep golden all over, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer the cooked dogs to the cooling rack and keep them warm in the oven while frying the rest.
- Serve the corn dogs drizzled with mustard or sauce of your choice.
- NOTE: For the L’il Devils (Corn Dog Sliders) - Substitute 20 to 24 pork or beef mini hot dogs for the full-size dogs. Use shorter skewers and fry the mini dogs in batches.