Carla Hall's Firehouse Pie
- 3 pounds ground Chicken
- Olive Oil
- Salt and freshly cracked Black Pepper
- 5 medium Carrots (peeled finely chopped)
- 6 Celery Ribs (finely chopped)
- 1 large Yellow Onion (finely chopped)
- 4 Garlic cloves (peeled and minced)
- 3 tablespoons Flour
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1/4 cup Heavy Cream
- 6 fresh Sage leaves (chopped)
- 4 sprigs fresh Thyme (leaves)
- 2 sprigs fresh Rosemary (chopped)
- 2 dried Bay Leaves
For the Mashed Potatoes:
- 4 pounds Russet Potatoes (peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 2 cups Milk
- 1 1/2 sticks Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1 1/2 cups Aged White Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
- 2 tablespoons fresh Tarragon leaves
For the Peas:
- 2 cups frozen Green Peas
- 1/2 cup Water
- 3 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 Lemon (zested)
- In a large dutch oven, heat a few tablespoons of olive oil over medium. Add the ground chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is dark brown, about 10 to 15 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove meat to a plate.
- Saute the carrots, celery and onions in the large pot and season with salt. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes and stir in the garlic for about 30 seconds or just until fragrant.
- Return the chicken to the pot along with any drippings on the plate. Sprinkle in the flour and stir to coat the vegetables and meat. Cook for 3 minutes before stirring in the chicken stock. Add the herbs and adjust seasoning to taste. Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until mixture has reduced and thickened. (Almost all of the liquid should be cooked off).
- Stir in the cream and remove from heat. Top with the mashed potatoes. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the potatoes begin to brown lightly. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Top with peas to serve.
- For the Mashed Potatoes: Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with water by two inches. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until potatoes are very fork tender.
- Drain into a colander and return to pot to the stove. Add the milk and heat over low. Using a ricer or food mill, process the potatoes into the milk. Remove from heat. Stir in the sour cream and butter and season with salt. Fold in the cheddar cheese and tarragon.
- For the Peas: Heat the peas and water in a small sauce pot over medium. Once the water has reduced to 1/3 add the butter and lemon zest and season with salt. Keep warm until ready to serve.