Daphne Oz's Fish Tacos with Creamy Chipotle Cabbage Slaw
Spicy Cod Tacos
Fish Tacos with Creamy Chipotle Cabbage Slaw Recipe: A better-for-you pick, lightly fried cod feels indulgent without all the calories.
- 4 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 medium Yellow Onion (sliced thin)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (cored; seeded; sliced thin)
- Sea Salt and fresh-cracked Black Pepper
- 1/3 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Chipotle Powder
- 1 pound Cod (cut into 4 fillets)
- 8 small Corn Tortillas
- 4 cups Creamy Chipotle Cabbage Slaw
- Cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Salt and Pepper
Daphne's Fish Tacos from Relish - Part 1
4 tablespoons Olive Oil
1 medium Yellow Onion (sliced thin)
1 Red Bell Pepper (cored; seeded; sliced thin)
Sea Salt and fresh-cracked Black Pepper
In a skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the onion and bell pepper and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the onion is translucent and the bell pepper is softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a mixing bowl and set aside.
1/3 cup All-Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon Chipotle Powder
Salt and Pepper
1 pound Cod (cut into 4 fillets)
In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, chipotle powder, and 1 teaspoon salt. Pat each fish fillet dry and lightly dredge in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess flour. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in the skillet over medium heat and place 2 fillets at a time in the pan.
Gently pan fry for 3 to 6 minutes, until the underside of the fish turns opaque. Use a rubber spatula to flip the fillets and finish cooking to your desired doneness. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate, remove the remaining oil from the pan, and repeat with 1 tablespoon oil and the remaining 2 fillets.
To serve, for each fish fillet, heat 2 tortillas in a clean pan with the 1 remaining tablespoon of oil, then set them on a plate. Cut each fillet in half and divide the fish evenly among the 8 tortillas. Top with a helping of the sautéed veggies and a good amount of cabbage slaw and serve with cilantro, if desired.
1. Substitute any firm white fish, if you can't find cod. Or, try chicken!
2. Dry the fish before dredging it in flour so that the coating will stick.