Spicy Cod Tacos
Daphne Oz's Fish Tacos with Creamy Chipotle Cabbage Slaw
- 4 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 medium Yellow Onion (sliced thin)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (cored; seeded; sliced thin)
- Sea Salt and fresh-cracked Black Pepper
- 1/3 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Chipotle Powder
- 1 pound Cod (cut into 4 fillets)
- 8 small Corn Tortillas
- 4 cups Creamy Chipotle Cabbage Slaw
- Cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Salt and Pepper
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the onion and bell pepper and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the onion is translucent and the bell pepper is softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, chipotle powder, and 1 teaspoon salt. Pat each fish fillet dry and lightly dredge in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess flour. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in the skillet over medium heat and place 2 fillets at a time in the pan.
- Gently pan fry for 3 to 6 minutes, until the underside of the fish turns opaque. Use a rubber spatula to flip the fillets and finish cooking to your desired doneness. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate, remove the remaining oil from the pan, and repeat with 1 tablespoon oil and the remaining 2 fillets.
- To serve, for each fish fillet, heat 2 tortillas in a clean pan with the 1 remaining tablespoon of oil, then set them on a plate. Cut each fillet in half and divide the fish evenly among the 8 tortillas. Top with a helping of the sautéed veggies and a good amount of cabbage slaw and serve with cilantro, if desired.