Impress the guests at your next party with a dessert-ed island they will never want to be rescued from!
- step-by-step directions
- For the Meringue:
- 6 Egg Whites (room temperature)
- 1/4 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Cornstarch
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2 tablespoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Mini Dark Chocolate Chips
For the Creme Anglais:
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 Vanilla Bean (split and scraped)
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- For the Meringue: Bring a pot of water to a simmer.
- With a whisk attachment of a standing mixer, whisk the egg whites with the cream of tartar and salt until frothy on medium speed.
- Mix the corn starch and sugar. Pour in half the sugar mixture while continuing to whisk the egg whites, about 3 minutes.
- With the mixer on high, gradually pour in the remaining sugar mixture and mix until the whites are stiff, thick and shiny, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the orange zest and vanilla extract; mix in until completely incorporated.
- Remove bowl from mixer and stir in chocolate with a rubber spatula.
- Drop 2 tablespoons of batter into the water and cook until set, about 2 minutes. Remove from pot and blot on a paper towel.
- For the Creme Anglais: Heat cream, milk and scraped vanilla bean in a heavy bottomed saucepan.
- Whisk together egg yolks and sugar until pale and lightened.
- When cream mixture reaches a boil, remove from heat and slowly whisk a third of the cream into the yolks.
- Pour yolk mixture into the saucepan with remaining cream and return to heat.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl to cool completely.