A fresh summer tart!
Jason Roberts' Fresh Fig and Hazelnut Tart
- 1 3/4 ounces unsalted butter softened (3 1/2 tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup ground hazelnuts/hazelnut meal
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (thawed)
- 1 egg yolk
- 6 fresh figs
- Powdered sugar (for dusting)
- Vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until pale in color. Whisk in the egg until well combined.
- Gently fold in the ground hazelnut, flour and salt, being careful not to over work the flour, set aside and rest 15 minutes before using.
- Take the sheet of puff pastry, and with a sharp knife trim edges. This will allow the pastry to rise evenly. Cut the pastry in half and with a sharp knife mark a 1/2 inch border around both pieces of pastry. Be careful not to cut all the way through the pastry. Take a fork and prick the centre of both pieces of pastry, several times. Brush with a thin coating of egg yolk.
- Spread the center of each pastry with half of the hazelnut cream. Split the figs and arrange over the cream, Dust with icing sugar. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until pastry is risen and golden and the figs are glazed. Best served with a helping of vanilla ice cream.