Finally something you can do with those leftover green tomatoes in your garden. Don't throw them out, make this dish!
Fried Green Tomatoes with Buttermilk Dipping Sauce
- For the Tomatoes:
- 3 Green Tomatoes (sliced into 1/3-inch thick slices)
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 1/2 cup Buttermilk
- 1/2 cup Cornmeal
- Vegetable Oil or Lard to fry
- For the Sauce:
- 1/4 cup Buttermilk
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 tablespoon Shallot (minced)
- 1/4 cup Parsley Leaves
- 2 tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Mustard
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
- For the Tomatoes: Fill a deep sided cast iron skillet with 1/2-inch of vegetable oil or lard and heat to 360F.
- Arrange the flour, buttermilk, and cornmeal in three separate shallow dishes. Season the flour with salt and pepper.
- Dip the tomato slices into the flour, then buttermilk, then cornmeal, and then into the oil, and fry for 2 to 3 minutes per side, until golden brown. Be careful not to crowd the pan. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
- For the Sauce: In a blender, combine the sauce ingredients and blend until emulsified. Check seasonings and adjust. Serve with the fried green tomatoes.
Similar categories: Ingredients Vegetables Courses & Meals Appetizers, Starters & Snacks Vegetable Appetizers Cuisine Southern Ingredients Vegetables Courses & Meals Appetizers, Starters & Snacks Vegetable Appetizers Cuisine Southern