Elevate traditional pecan pie by frying it until it's golden brown.
Fried Pecan Pie with Bourbon Cream
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 tablespoon White Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 Egg (Room Temperature)
- 3 cups chopped Pecans
- 1 Carla's Perfect Pie Crust
- Cinnamon Sugar (to garnish)
For the Bourbon Cream:
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Bourbon
- Combine the granulated and dark brown sugar in a medium sauce pot. Add the water to cover the sugar and stir to combine. Add the vinegar and salt and cook over medium heat. Using a candy thermometer, cook until the mixture reaches "soft ball" stage, about 235 degrees F. Remove pan from heat and stir in butter and vanilla. Once mixture has cooled for about 5 minutes whisk stir in the egg immediately followed by the chopped pecans. Pour into a bowl and allow to chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Roll out pie crust to 1/8-inch thick on a floured surface. Cut 2 1/2 inch circles out of the dough. Place 2 teaspoons of filling in the center of half of the dough circles and dampen the edges with water. Place another circle of dough on top and seal the edges with the tines of a fork. Using a sharp paring knife, cut 2 to 3 small vents in the top of each pie. Chill the pies in the fridge for 30 minutes before frying.
- Heat oil to 350 F in a high-sided cast iron pan. Place a few pies into the heated oil and allow to cook for 3 to 5 minutes, flipping once , or until golden brown. Using a spider, or large metal slotted spoon, remove pies from the oil and place on a paper towel lined plate. Immediately sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Serve pies with Bourbon Cream Sauce.
- For the Bourbon Cream: In a large bowl, whisk cream until frothy. Begin to sprinkle in sugar while continuing to whisk. Once all the sugar is incorporated and cream reaches a medium-stiff peak, whisk in the bourbon. Adjust sugar and bourbon to taste.