Pork with Sauteed and Pickled Peppers
Mario Batali's Fried Pork Chop Sandwiches
- 8 Pork Cutlets (pounded thin)
- Flour (for dredging)
- Eggs (beaten; for dredging)
- Panko Breadcrumbs (for dredging)
- Olive Oil
- 2 Hot Peppers (serrano and jalapeno; sliced)
- 3 Bell Peppers (red; yellow; and green; sliced)
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
- Pickled Peppers (garnish)
- Hoagie Rolls (split and toasted)
- Red Wine Vinegar (to taste)
- Red Chile Flakes (to taste)
- Preheat a 1/2-inch of oil in a cast iron skillet. Season the chops with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Dredge in the flour, then eggs, and then breadcrumbs, shaking off excess between each step. Gently drop into the oil, frying for 5 to 6 minutes per side, until golden brown. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan, add a few tablespoons of olive oil, and then add the sliced peppers. Season generously with salt and cook until slightly softened. Season with red chile flake and red wine vinegar.
- Assemble sandwiches by shingling pork cutlets and topping with sautéed peppers and pickled peppers.