ingredients 1 pound thick sliced Bacon
instructions Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Lay out the bacon in a single layer on a sheet tray and bake for about 12 minutes, or until the bacon is crisp. Remove to paper towels to blot and set aside.
ingredients Vegetable Oil for frying
instructions In a large sauté pan over medium high heat, pour in about an inch of vegetable oil and let it get hot.
ingredients 1 quart Buttermilk
2 tablespoons Hot Sauce
2 cups Flour
1 teaspoon Chipotle Powder
1 tablespoon Paprika
1 tablespoon Garlic Powder
Salt and freshly ground Pepper
instructions Whisk together the buttermilk and hot sauce. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour with the chipotle powder, paprika and garlic powder. Season the pork with salt and pepper on both sides, then dip the pieces in the buttermilk, followed by the flour, shaking off any excess.
ingredients 2 pounds Center Cut Pork Loin (cut into 8 pieces and pounded to 1/4-inch-thick pieces)
instructions Pan fry the pork, a few at a time, until golden and crisp, about 2 minutes per side. Remove to a paper towel then continue frying the pork in batches, not over crowding the pan. When all of the pork is fried, assemble the sandwiches.
ingredients 12 pieces White Bread (toasted)
1 recipe Garlic Aioli (recipe follows)
1 cup picked Basil Leaves
1 recipe Oven Dried Tomatoes (recipe follows)
instructions To assemble the Sandwiches: Spread 3 pieces of the toasted white bread with the garlic aioli. Place 1 piece of bacon, broken in half on one piece of bread, followed by a few basil leaves and a few tomatoes. Top with one piece of pork. Add the second piece of bread on top, followed by another piece of bacon broken in half, a few basil leaves, a few tomato pieces and another piece of pork. Place the remaining piece of bread on top, aioli side down. Slice the sandwich with a serrated knife in to 4 triangles. Repeat the assembly process for the remaining 3 sandwiches.
ingredients 3 cloves Garlic (minced)
2 large Egg Yolks
1 tablespoon fresh Lemon Juice
3/4 cup Olive Oil
Hot Sauce (optional)
instructions For the Garlic Aioli: Whisk together the garlic, egg yolks and lemon juice. Slowly whisk in the olive oil in a thin stream until the mixture thickens to a mayonnaise like consistency. If desired, stir in hot sauce to taste. Season the aioli with salt and pepper then refrigerate until ready to use.
ingredients 12 Roma Tomatoes (sliced lengthwise 1/2-inch thick)
Olive Oil for drizzling
Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
3 cloves Garlic (peeled and smashed)
small bunch Thyme
small bunch Oregano
instructions For the Oven Dried Tomatoes: Preheat oven to 225 degrees F. Place the tomatoes in a large mixing bowl and drizzle some olive oil over them, tossing to coat. Season with salt and pepper, and toss in the garlic, thyme and oregano. Lay out the tomatoes on a parchment lined baking tray or a roasting rack set over a baking tray, including the garlic and herbs, and place in the oven for about 3 hours or until dried out but still a little juicy in the center.
1. Try this sandwich with different types of meat, such as pork loin, tender loin, pork shoulder or even boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
2. Season the flour and buttermilk, along with the pork, to ensure maximum flavor. Combine the dry spices in the flour and the wet in the buttermilk.
3. Do not marinate the pork in the buttermilk because the acid will affect the texture of the meat.
4. You can prepare the tomatoes ahead of time and store them in the fridge packed in extra virgin olive oil to extend the shelf life.
5. Use store bought mayonnaise, if you would prefer not to make your own. Simply flavor the store bought version for a more sophisticated taste.
6. Chop up the tomatoes and add olive oil to form a paste that can be used over meat or fish, in eggs, or over greens.