One of Carla's favorite things she's ever eaten is fried dough - it's inexpensive, easy, and delicious! And this version is all crispiness and crunch! It's a quick and easy sweet treat you've got to try!
Fried Sweet Phyllo Squares
- 1 package Frozen Phyllo Dough (thawed)
- 1 cup Butter (melted)
- 1/4 cup Cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- Vegetable Oil (to fry)
- Top With:
- Chocolate Ganache
- Pastry Cream
- Lemon Curd
- Cinnamon Sugar
- Chopped Walnuts/Pecans/Peanuts
- Ice Cream
- Roll out the phyllo and separate the layers.
- Combine the cinnamon and sugar and mix thoroughly.
- On a lightly floured work surface, lay out 2 layers of phyllo. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar mixture. Cut dough in half, lengthwise. Fold each half in half, lengthwise. Brush again with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture. Roll each piece up, will resemble a cigar or squared roll.
- Heat oil in a deep cast iron skillet or dutch oven to 350F.
- Drop the dough into the oil and fry into golden and crisp. Drain to a paper towel lined plate.
- Serve warm with the toppings of your choice.