Ghosts and Bats Cookies
These cookies are almost as much fun to make as they are to eat.
- step-by-step directions
Ghosts and Bats Cookies
- For the Cookies:
- 3 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks/12 oz) unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- freshly grated zest of 1 orange
- For the Glaze:
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- silver sprinkles
- black and white food coloring
- For the Cookies: In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar together on medium speed until creamy and light, about 2 minutes. Beat in the egg and egg yolks, one at a time, scraping down the sides after each addition, followed by the vanilla extract,and orange zest. Beat in the dry ingredients on low speed to form a stiff dough. Remove the dough from the bowl, flatted it into a disk, wrap in plastic, and chill until it's firm enough to roll, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease two baking sheets with nonstick cooking pray or butter or line them with parchment paper.
- Divide the dough into 3 equal pieces; work with 1 piece at a time, keeping the remaining pieces refrigerated. On a floured surface, roll the dough to a thickness of 1/8 inch. Using a floured cookie cutter of your choice (ghost, bat, etc), cut the dough. Place the cookies 1/2 inch apart on the baking sheets. Gather the scraps together and repeat rolling and cutting until you have used all the scraps; it may be necessary to refrigerate the scraps until they are firm enough to roll again.
- For the Glaze: In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolk with the cream. Divide up the glaze into 2 small bowls and add black food coloring to one bowl, and white to the other bowl. Using a small pastry brush, lightly paint the cookies. Paint the ghosts whites, with black eyes, and paint the bats black, with silver sprinkles to add an extra spooky effect.
- Bake the cookies until they are lightly golden brown, 12 to 14 minutes, rotating the baking sheets 180 degrees halfway through the baking time to ensure even browning. Allow the cookies to cool slightly on the baking sheets, then gently remove them with a spatula to a wire rack to cool completely.
- The cookies can be stored in an airtight container, layered between sheets of parchment paper, for up to 4 days.
rate this recipe
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Pressure Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Greek Pasta Salad
Cheesy Garlic Donuts
Red Wine Salted Popcorn
Chocolate Baseball Extravaganza
Gazpacho Bloody Mary
Thai Fried Shrimp Cakes with Sweet Chili Sauce
Fried Peach Hand-Pies
Taco Grilled Cheese
Lemon Tendercake with Blueberry Compote
Bacon Wrapped Grilled Cheese