Gingerbread with Lemon and Cranberry Filling
Carla Hall's Gingerbread Sandwiches
- For the Gingerbread Cake:
- 2 cups Dark Molasses
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup strong Ginger Ale
- 4 1/2 cups Cake Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 4 teaspoons ground Cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons ground Ginger
- 4 teaspoons freshly grated Nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground Allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground Cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 2 Eggs
- 2 cups Sour Cream or Buttermilk
- Cranberry Orange Compote
For the Lemon Cream Cheese:
- 1 8- ounce package Cream Cheese (softened)
- 1/2 cup Confectioners Sugar
- zest and juice of 1 Lemon
- For the Gingerbread Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease and flour a 9" loaf pan.
- Combine molasses, butter and ginger ale in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat as soon as the mixture boils, and transfer mixture to the bowl of an electric mixer or large bowl. Allow to cool to lukewarm.
- Sift the flour, salt, spices and baking soda together onto a large piece of parchment or wax paper. Set aside.
- Add the eggs to the molasses mixture, beat until combined. Add the dry ingredients and sour cream alternately, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Place on wire rack to cool slightly, then turn out of pan to finish cooling.
- For the Lemon Cream Cheese: Make the lemon cream cheese by beating together the cream cheese, confectioners sugar, and lemon juice and zest.
- Slice gingerbread into 1-inch thick pieces. Spread the lemon cream cheese on one half, and spread cranberry orange compote on the other half. Sandwich together.