These creamy grits with pieces of spicy sausage make for a decadent breakfast side.
- step-by-step directions
- 2 cups Stone Ground Grits
- 2 1/2 cups Milk
- 2 1/2 cups Chicken Stock (plus more if needed)
- 3 Garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 pound Spicy Sausage (removed from casing)
- 1 tablespoon fresh Oregano (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh Thyme (leaves chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 4 Eggs (separated)
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Grease a 9x9 casserole dish or 8 cup souffle dish.
- In a heavy bottomed pot placed over medium high heat, add the milk and chicken stock. Generously season the mixture with salt. Pour in the grits and bring the mixture up to a boil, whisking constantly. Immediately reduce the heat to a simmer and continue to stir until the grits are soft and creamy, about 20 minutes.
- While the grits are cooking, place another saute pan over medium-high heat and add a tablespoon of olive oil. Add the sausage and cook until browned and crumbly. Throw the garlic in at the last minute of cooking, along with the herbs.
- When the grits are creamy and cooked, take off the heat and stir in the sausage, along with the cheese and butter. Stir in the whisked egg yolks.
- Beat the egg whites with a hand mixer until stiff. Fold the whites into the grits mixture.
- Pour into the prepared casserole dish and place in the oven. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the grits are set up and the top is lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
Kale Pesto Naan Pizza
Lemon-Sage Compound Butter
Spinach & Artichoke Puffs
Roast Chicken with Lemon-Sage Pan Sauce
Grilled Veggie Burrito with Quinoa
Almond Banana Bread
Carrot Ginger Soup
Shrimp and Plantains in Spicy Tomato Sauce
Energy Date Balls
Leftover Salmon Pumpernickel Toast
Mini Cherry Pies with Red Plum Jam