Mario Batali's Grandma's Biscotti
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) Unsalted Butter (softened)
- 1 1/2 cup Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 1/4 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/4 teaspoon Anise Oil
- 1 teaspoon Anise Seed
- 3 cups sifted All-Purpose Flour
- 3 teaspoons Baking Powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, waiting until each is incorporated before adding the next one. Add the cream, anise oil and seeds, the flour, and the baking powder and mix until a firm dough is formed.
- Turn the dough out onto a work surface and form it into 2 logs approximately 24 inches long, adding more flour if needed for the logs to hold their shape. Place the logs on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 45 minutes, or until light golden brown. Reduce oven temperature to 220 degrees F.
- Remove from the oven and while still warm slice each log diagonally into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Return the slices to the cookie sheet cut side down and bake for an hour, or until firm, flipping once halfway through. Cool on wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Serve with red wine, dessert wine, or espresso.