Fried Eggplant Sandwich
Michael Symon's Giant Italian Hero
- Olive Oil
- 2 medium Eggplants (peeled; sliced into 1/2-inch thick pieces)
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- 3 Eggs (whisked)
- 1 1/2 cups Breadcrumbs
- Salt and freshly cracked Black Pepper
- 6 Hoagie Rolls (split lengthwise and pressed open)
- 1 bunch fresh Basil
- 1 pound sliced Mortadella
- 1 pound sliced Salami
- 1 pound sliced Sopressada
- 2 pounds sliced fresh Mozzarella
- Spicy Celery Giardiniera
- Place the flour, eggs, and breadcrumbs in three separate dishes for dredging. Season each with salt and pepper. Lightly coat the pieces of eggplant in flour, coat in egg and cover completely in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium high with a few tablespoons of olive oil. Fry the dredged pieces of eggplants on both sides until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove to a paper towel lined plate and season immediately with salt.
- Begin to assemble the sandwich starting with the basil leaves. Place torn basil leaves on both sides of the bread. Top both sides with layers of sliced meats. Place fried eggplant down the center and top with fresh mozzarella and spicy celery giardiniera. Close the sandwich and enjoy.
Similar categories: Dinner