Egg and Lemon Soup
Michael ate this soup every time he got sick as a kid. Now he simply eats it all the time and you should to!
- step-by-step directions
Egg and Lemon Soup
- 2 pounds chicken backs and necks
- 2 pounds chicken feet (or additional backs and necks)
- 1 onion (quartered)
- 1 carrot (thickly sliced)
- 1 head of garlic (halved crosswise)
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 recipe chicken stock
- 3 to 5 eggs
- Juice from 3 to 5 lemons
- 1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup orzo or rice
- For the Chicken Stock: Rinse the chicken parts thoroughly.
- In a 10-quart stockpot, combine the onion, carrot, garlic, thyme, salt, bay leaf, peppercorns, and 1 gallon cold water. Bring the liquid to a boil over high heat, skimming any foam and impurities that rise to the surface.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 hours, skimming the surface as necessary. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer, discarding the solids.
- For the Avgolemono: Blend the eggs, lemon juice, and cornstarch in blender.
- Boil orzo or rice in chicken stock until tender.
- Remove the chicken stock from heat for about 5 minutes, then slowly add two ladles of chicken stock to the egg and lemon mixture (to temper) to avoid curdling.
- Then add the egg and lemon mixture back into the pot with chicken stock. Return pot to heat and slowly bring to a simmer. Serve warm.
Similar categories: Courses & Meals Lunch Soups Dinner Soups & Stews Cuisine Greek Other Side Dishes
rate this recipe
North African Chicken and Spinach Stew
Smoked Cheddar and Creole Mac-n-Cheese
Mini Vegan Sweet Potato Pies
Crispy Baked Potato Casserole
Oyster Po' Boys
Maple Panna Cotta with Roasted Grapes and Pistachios
Black and White Cookies
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Pressure Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Greek Pasta Salad