Michael ate this soup every time he got sick as a kid. Now he simply eats it all the time and you should to!
Egg and Lemon Soup
- For the Chicken Stock:
- 2 pounds Chicken Backs and Necks
- 2 pounds Chicken Feet or additional backs and necks
- 1 Onion (quartered)
- 1 Carrot (thickly sliced)
- 1 Head of Garlic (halved crosswise)
- 4 sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 1 tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 tablespoon Black Peppercorns
- For the Avgolemono:
- 1 recipe Chicken Stock
- 3 to 5 Eggs
- Juice from 3 to 5 Lemons
- 1/4 teaspoon Cornstarch
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup Orzo or Rice
- For the Chicken Stock: Rinse the chicken parts thoroughly.
- In a 10-quart stockpot, combine the onion, carrot, garlic, thyme, salt, bay leaf, peppercorns, and 1 gallon cold water. Bring the liquid to a boil over high heat, skimming any foam and impurities that rise to the surface.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 hours, skimming the surface as necessary. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer, discarding the solids.
- For the Avgolemono: Blend the eggs, lemon juice, and cornstarch in blender.
- Boil orzo or rice in chicken stock until tender.
- Remove the chicken stock from heat for about 5 minutes, then slowly add two ladles of chicken stock to the egg and lemon mixture (to temper) to avoid curdling.
- Then add the egg and lemon mixture back into the pot with chicken stock. Return pot to heat and slowly bring to a simmer. Serve warm.
Similar categories: Courses & Meals Lunch Soups Dinner Soups & Stews Cuisine Greek Other Side Dishes