Greek Donut Holes
This Greek treat will be a hit with the whole family. Try them is weekend.
- step-by-step directions
Greek Donut Holes
- For the Donuts:
- 1 envelope dry yeast
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm milk (105 - 115 degrees F)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 tablespoon butter (softened)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
Fillings for Donuts:
- Lemon curd
- Chocolate ganache
- Strawberry jam
- Cinnamon sugar (to sprinkle)
- Cherry pie filling
- For the Donuts: In a large bowl sprinkle yeast over warm milk with sugar and let stand for 5 minutes, or until foamy. Stir in salt, eggs, shortening, butter, and 2 cups of flour. Mix at low speed in mixer or stir with wooden spoon.
- Beat in remaining flour a bit at a time, until the dough no longer sticks to the bowl. Knead flour about five minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place dough in a greased bowl and cover with a cloth. Set in a warm place to rise until doubled or set in fridge overnight.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface and gently roll out to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with a floured 1-inch cookie cutter. Cover loosely and let dough rise again until double in size.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer to 350°F. Carefully place the donuts into the oil. Turn them over as they rise to the surface. Fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Using a piping bag filled with the filling of your choice, insert the tip into the fried donut holes and fill with the assorted fillings. Garnish with cinnamon sugar.
Braised Chicken Thighs with Caramelized Onions and Egg Noodles
Easy Tiramisu Cake
Grilled Skirt Steak with Charred Tomatillo Salsa
Gluten Free Coconut Pancake
Chickpea and Lentil Curry Over Toasted Pita
Marinated Pork T-Bones
Tuna Noodle Casserole with Potato Chip Topping
California Veggie Burger
Spaghetti Squash Latkes
Apple Cider Donuts
Spiced Turkey Meatloaf
Kielbasa with Beer and Onions