This Greek treat will be a hit with the whole family. Try them is weekend.
Greek Donut Holes
- For the Donuts:
- 1 envelope dry yeast
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm milk (105 - 115 degrees F)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 tablespoon butter (softened)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
Fillings for Donuts:
- Lemon curd
- Chocolate ganache
- Strawberry jam
- Cinnamon sugar (to sprinkle)
- Cherry pie filling
- For the Donuts: In a large bowl sprinkle yeast over warm milk with sugar and let stand for 5 minutes, or until foamy. Stir in salt, eggs, shortening, butter, and 2 cups of flour. Mix at low speed in mixer or stir with wooden spoon.
- Beat in remaining flour a bit at a time, until the dough no longer sticks to the bowl. Knead flour about five minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place dough in a greased bowl and cover with a cloth. Set in a warm place to rise until doubled or set in fridge overnight.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface and gently roll out to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with a floured 1-inch cookie cutter. Cover loosely and let dough rise again until double in size.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer to 350°F. Carefully place the donuts into the oil. Turn them over as they rise to the surface. Fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Using a piping bag filled with the filling of your choice, insert the tip into the fried donut holes and fill with the assorted fillings. Garnish with cinnamon sugar.