Cheesy Pasta with Broccoli, Peas, and Spinach
Catherine McCord's Green Mac and Cheese
- 1 pound Elbow Macaroni
- 3 cups Whole Milk
- 1 cup packed fresh Spinach
- 3 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 2 tablespoons Flour
- 4 cups grated White Cheddar Cheese
- 2 cups chopped Broccoli Florets
- 1 cup Peas
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Cook pasta in salted water for about 3 minutes less than package directions call for, until al dente. Reserve half a cup of the pasta water and strain.
- While the pasta is cooking. Place the milk and spinach in a blender and blend on high speed until smooth.
- In a large pot melt the butter and then add the flour, whisking continuously over low-medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes to make a roux. Slowly whisk in the milk mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, whisking occasionally, 3 to 4 minutes, or until sauce is gently bubbling and starting to thicken. Add reserved pasta water and cheese and whisk until melted. Stir in the pasta, broccoli and peas.
- Transfer to a greased 13″ x 9″ baking dish and bake for 20 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling and the pasta is set.