Grilled Summer Salad
Daphne Oz's Grilled Cantaloupe and Vegetable Salad
- 2 ears Sweet Summer Corn (in their husks)
- Olive Oil for the grill or grill pan
- 2 medium Zucchini (sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch strips)
- 1 bunch of Asparagus (woody ends removed)
- 1 medium Cantaloupe (halved; seeded; skin removed and cut into 1-inch-thick wedges)
- 1 head of Romaine Lettuce (finely chopped)
- 3 Persian Cucumbers (sliced into 1/4-inch rounds)
- 1 Avocado (pitted; peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice)
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes (halved)
- 12 fresh Basil Leaves (shredded)
- 1/2 cup Red Wine-Shallot Vinaigrette
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Soak the corn (in husks) in cold water for 30 minutes.
- Prepare a gas or charcoal grill to medium-hot, or heat a stovetop cast-iron grill pan to medium-high. Brush the grill lightly with oil (and apply again before grilling new items).
- Husk the corn, discarding the corn silk and husks. Grill the corn, rotating in quarter turns for 20 to 30 minutes until al the kernels are cooked and tender and some have blackened and charred.
- Grill the zucchini until tender, about 5 minutes per side. Grill the asparagus until tender, about 8 minutes. Grill the cantaloupe on each side until heated through and grill marks develop, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Chop the zucchini, asparagus, and melon into bite-sized pieces, and cut the corn kernels from the cob.
- Lay a bed of lettuce on each serving plate and top with the grilled items and the cucumbers, avocado, and tomatoes. Tear fresh basil over the top. Drizzle with the vinaigrette (about 2 tablespoons per serving). Serve the salad with fresh lemon wedges.