Grilled Cheese Hamburger
- 16 slices White Bread
- 16 slices American Cheese
- Mayonnaise for greasing (plus more to serve)
- 1 pound Ground Beef (80/20 blend)
- 1 Beefsteak Tomato (sliced)
- 6 large pieces Green Leaf Lettuce
- Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
- Ketchup to serve
- Mustard to serve
- Bacon to serve
- Pickles to serve
- Caramelized Onions to serve
- Preheat a griddle to medium. Lay out 8 pieces of bread and place 2 pieces of cheese on each. Top with remaining slices of bread. Spread mayonnaise on the outside of the sandwiches.
- Divide meat into 4 patties (4 ounces each). Season with outside of each patty with salt and pepper.
- Place the sandwiches on the griddle and cook until golden on the first side. Flip the sandwiches and cook until golden and the cheese is melted. Remove to a plate and begin to cook the patties. Place the patties on the grill and cook for 2 minutes per side or until slightly charred on both sides.
Place each cooked patty on a grilled cheese sandwich and top with your choice of lettuce, tomato, bacon and condiments. Top with another grilled cheese sandwich. Slice and enjoy!
1. Using mayonnaise instead of butter on the outside of the sandwich helps prevent the bread from burning.
2. Do not use lean ground beef for your burgers -- the fat in the beef melts and makes the burger even more delicious.