Asparagus, Peas, and Spring Onions with Chicken
Michael Symon's Grilled Chicken with Spring Salad
- 1 Chicken (cut in half down the backbone; about 4 to 5 pounds)
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
For the Salad:
- 1 cup Peas (shelled and blanched)
- 2 bunches Asparagus (ends trimmed)
- 6 Spring Onions (roots trimmed and sliced in half lengthwise)
- 2 tablespoons Greek Yogurt
- 1 Orange (zest and juice)
- 1/3 cup Mint (leaves torn)
- 4-5 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Generously season the chicken with salt and pepper the night before cooking. Place on a resting rack set inside a sheet tray and cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge.
- Remove the chicken from the fridge 30 minutes prior to cooking. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place a grill over medium-high heat.
- Drizzle the chicken with olive oil and rub to coat evenly. Place the chicken down, breast side down, on the grill and cook until charred and golden, about 5 to 6 minutes. Flip the chicken over and grill the other side for 2 to 3 minutes and then place the pan in the oven. Cook until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F, or about 15 to 20 minutes.
- For the Salad: Toss the spring onions and asparagus in a mixing bowl with 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on the grill and cook until charred, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the grill and set aside.
- While the chicken and vegetables are cooking, make the vinaigrette. Add the yogurt to a mixing bowl and add the orange zest and juice. Whisk in the mint and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and taste. Adjust if necessary.
- Add the grilled vegetables and peas to the vinaigrette and toss to coat. Serve alongside the chicken.