Claw into this tasty summer dish that is so good you'll want it all the time!
Grilled Lobster with Lemon Oil
- For the Lemon Oil:
- 1 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Grated zest and juice of 3 Lemons
- 1 bunch Marjoram
- 3 tablespoons Limoncello or other Lemon Liqueur
- 1 serrano chile (sliced)
For the Lobster:
- 3 2- pound live spiny ofaine lobsters
- 2 Lemons (cut into wedges)
- 2 bunches asparagus (bottoms cut off)
- zest of 1 lemon
- For the Lemon Oil: Combine the olive oil and lemon zest and juice in a small saucepan and bring just to a simmer over medium heat. Pour into a heat-proof bowl, add the serrano chile and limoncello, and let cool. Tie up marjoram and place into lemon oil.
- As soon as the oil is cool, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- Strain the oil and keep refrigerated until ready to use. It can be stored in the refrigerator in a tightly sealed jar for up to 10 days, no longer.
- For the Lobster: Preheat a gas grill or prepare a fire in a charcoal grill.
- For asparagus cut off bottoms and season with lemon zest, salt and pepper. Drizzle asparagus with olive oil and grill for 5 minutes until slightly charred. Remove from grill and set aside.
- To kill the lobsters, hold each one firmly on a cutting board with the head toward you, plunge a sharp heavy knife into the center of the head, with the blade facing you, and quickly bring the knife down to the cutting board, splitting the front of the shell in half.
- Place the lobsters shell side up on the hottest part of the grill and cook for 3 minutes. Turn over and cook for 3 minutes on the second side. Transfer to a cutting board.
- Split the lobsters completely in half and remove the head sacs from each half. Being careful not to lose any of the tomalley - and roe, if the lobsters are female.
- Place the lobsters shell side down on the grill and cook until nearly done, 6 to 7 minutes. Use marjoram bunch to brush on lemon oil. Turn them flesh side down and cook for 1 minute longer, or until just cooked through, and brush with lemon oil again.
- Arrange the lobster with grilled asparagus and garnish with lemon wedges. Serve warm or at room temperature, with the remaining lemon oil on the side.