This dish has it all!
Mario Batali's Grilled Lobsters and Hangar Steak with Cucumber Salad
- For the Lobster and Steak:
- 3 2- pound Maine Lobsters
- 1 1 to 1 1/2 pound Hangar Steak
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (to brush grill)
- Lemons (cut into wedges)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 baguette (sliced)
For the Cucumber Salad:
- 1 English or Hothouse Cucumber (peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch thick)
- 1 Pint Cherry Tomatoes (sliced in half)
- 2 Heirloom Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 bunch fresh mint (chopped)
- 1/2 bunch fresh dill (chopped)
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- For the Lobster and Steak: To kill the lobsters, hold each one firmly on a cutting board with the head toward you, plunge a sharp heavy knife into the center of the head, with the blade facing you, and quickly bring the knife down to the cutting board, splitting the front of the shell in half.
- Place the lobsters shell side up on the hottest part of the grill and cook for 3 minutes. Turn over and cook for 3 minutes on the second side. Transfer to a cutting board.
- Split the lobsters completely in half and remove the head sacs from each half. Being careful not to lose any of the tomalley - and roe, if the lobsters are female.
- Place the lobsters shell side down on the grill and cook until nearly done, 6 to 7 minutes. Turn them flesh side down and cook for 1 minute longer, or until just cooked through, and brush with lemon oil. Arrange the lobster with lemon wedges. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Brush the grill with more extra virgin olive oil. Season the steaks generously with salt and pepper, and place on the grill. Grill the steaks for 5 to 6 minutes per side for medium. Allow to rest 10 minutes before serving.
- For the Cucumber Salad: Squeeze the juice out of the heirloom tomatoes into a bowl and set aside. Reserve tomatoes.
- Combine the cucumbers and cherry tomatoes in a large serving bowl, and toss together. In a bowl, whisk together the extra virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar. Whisk in the tomato juice, and add the mint and dill. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over the salad and toss to coat.
- To Serve: Toast baguette slices on grill or toaster. Rub slices with garlic clove and smear the heirloom tomatoes over top. Serve with meal.
Similar categories: Dinner