Beef Burger with Caramelized Onions
Michael Symon's Grilled Onion Burger and Spicy Quick Pickle
- 1 medium Yellow Onion (sliced)
- Vegetable Oil
- 1 1/2 pounds Ground Beef Chuck
- 6 slices American Cheese
- Salt and freshly cracked Black Pepper
- 6 Hamburger Potato Buns
For the Condiments:
For the Spicy Quick Pickle:
- 2 Fresno Chilies (thinly sliced)
- 2 Kirby Cucumbers (thinly sliced)
- 2 cups White Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chili Flakes
- 1 teaspoon Fennel Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Coriander
- Heat a griddle to medium high. Add a few tablespoons of oil to the griddle and top with diced onions and season with salt.
- Meanwhile, form 4 ounce balls of the ground beef and season with salt and pepper. Place a ball of meat on top of each onion pile and smashed down with a spatula to flatten. Season meat and cook for 2 minutes or until crispy on the first side. Flip and cook for 1 minute then top with a slice of cheese. Cook for 1 more minute just until the cheese is melted.
- For the Condiments: Spread mayo on the bun and warm bun on the griddle the place a cooked cheesy pattie on the bottom of the bun. Top with the spicy quick pickle and your favorite condiments.
- For the Spicy Quick Pickle: Combine vinegar, sugar, chili flake, fennel and coriander in a small pot and bring to a boil. Pour over prepared vegetables. Allow to sit until liquid is room temperature. Strain and serve.