Ox Heart Burger with Crispy Shallots, Watercress, and Mustard Glaze
Andrew Zimmern's Grilled Ox Heart Burger
- For the Burgers:
- 16 ounces trimmed lean Ox Heart (cubed)
- 2 ounces Lamb or Pig Leaf Lard
- 2 ounces chopped Pancetta
- 2 tablespoons Scallions
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Black Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 4 Pretzel Buns
For the Mustard Vinaigrette:
- 6 tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 4 tablespoons Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Hazelnut Oil
- 1/4 cup Peanut Oil
- 1/2 cup Cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped Chives
- 1 bunch Watercress (rinsed and dried)
For the Crispy Shallots:
- 1 cup thinly sliced Shallots
- 1 cup Milk
- 2 cups heavily seasoned Flour
- Oil for frying
- For the Burgers: Preheat grill or grillpan over medium high heat. Grind the leaf lard, pancetta and the ox heart, mix lightly with salt, pepper, scallions. Make 4 patties, forming lightly. Patties can be made the day before and stored between sheets of wax paper. Brush burgers with mustard. Grill to rare/medium rare, remove to plate to keep warm, and let rest for 2 minutes before plating on griddled buttered pretzel buns. I love mine with roasted tomatoes, watercress tossed in mustard vinaigrette and crispy shallots.
- For the Mustard Vinaigrette: Whisk together the mustard and vinegar. Add the oils, blending well and then blend in the cream. Adjust for seasoning with salt and ground pepper and add remaining ingredients. Chill, serve or reserve. Use this dressing for the watercress to garnish the burger.
- For the Crispy Shallots: Slice shallots thinly, soak in milk for 30 minutes, strain. Dredge in seasoned flour. Strain off excess flour. Fry for several minutes at 375 degrees until dark golden and crisp. Drain on paper toweling. I use them to garnish burgers.
- *Note from Andrew: Make sure the burger ingredients are finely diced, and then grind through the meat grinder on the fine setting twice.
Similar categories: Dinner