Pork Chops and Corn
Traci Des Jardins' Grilled Pork Chops with Cherry Almond Salsa and Creamed Corn
- For the Grilled Pork Chop:
- 4-9 ounces Pork Chops (about 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick)
- 2 ounces slivered Almonds
- Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup pitted fresh Cherries
- 1/4 cup Italian Parsley leaves
- pinch of Cayenne
- 1/2 White or Yellow Onion
- 1 Habanero Chile
- 1/8 cup White Vinegar
- 1/8 cup Water
For the Creamed Corn:
- 8 ears of Corn
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh chopped Thyme
- 4 tablespoons chopped Parsley
- a pinch of Cayenne or Piment de Espelette
- For the Grilled Pork Chop with Cherry Almond Salsa: Season the pork chops well on both sides with salt and pepper. Get the grill or grill pan very hot. Brush with a little bit of oil. Cook the pork chop for about 7 to 8 minutes on each side and then allow to rest for about 10 minutes.
- Toast the slivered almonds to golden brown in a sauté pan with scant oil for about 3 minutes over medium high heat or in a 375 degree oven for about 10 minutes, allow to cool. Place the pitted cherries in a bowl, add the Italian parsley and the almonds, pinch of cayenne and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Thinly slice the onion and finely cut the habanero chile. Combine with the vinegar and water in a small sauce pan, bring all to a boil, immediately remove from heat, add a bit of salt and pepper and allow to sit for a half hour.
- For the Creamed Corn: With a paring knife make a slit down each row of corn kernels bisecting each individual kernel. With a spoon, scrape the cob in a downward motion into a bowl to make a 'creamed corn.'
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan, add the corn and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes, add a little water if it is super thick. Add the thyme, parsley, salt and pepper and a pinch of cayenne or piment d'espelette.
- For presentation: Place a spoonful of creamed corn down on a plate, place the pork chop on top, top with the cherry mixture and a little of the habanero onions.
Similar categories: Dinner