Eating local, seasonal food not only helps your local economy, but also helps the planet as a whole! Try making this tasty grilling recipe using only local ingredients.
Grilled T-Bone Lamb Chops with Fava Bean and Feta Salad
- 2 tablespoons Kosher Salt
- 1 tablespoon Corainder Seed (toasted)
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Red Pepper Flake
- 8 T-Bone Lamb Chops
- Olive Oil
Fava Bean and Feta Salad:
- 8 Whole Fava Beans (shelled)
- 1 Shallot (minced)
- 2 cloves Garlic (smashed and minced)
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Pinch of Red Pepper Chili Flakes
- 4 to 8 oz Crumbled Feta (1 cup)
- 3 tablespon Red Wine Vinegar
- 8 to 10 sprigs Fresh Mint (torn)
- For the lamb: Put the salt, coriander seeds, and sugar into a mortar and pestle and crush to blend. Place the lamb chops on a wire rack set over a baking sheet. Liberally season the chops on both sides with the spice blend. Sprinkle each side with red pepper flakes. Allow to sit in the refrigerator, covered, for at least 8 to 24 hours before grilling, if possible. This will act as a quick cure, adding more flavor to the lamb when it's cooked.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat.
- Drizzle olive oil over the lamb and allow to cook until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat reaches 125 to 130 degrees F for medium-rare to medium, about 3 to 5 minutes per side, turning once. Allow the chops to rest briefly before serving.
- For the Fava Bean and Feta Salad: Fill a large bowl with ice and water. Place a large pot of water over high heat and bring to a boil. Add salt to taste. Add the fava beans to the water and blanch for about 40 to 50 seconds, or to al dente. Immediately plunge the beans into the ice bath to cool. Once cooled, remove the second shell and set the shelled beans aside.
- To a bowl add the shallot, garlic, and season with salt to help bring out the moisture. Add red wine vinegar, extra-virgin olive oil, red pepper chili flakes, and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Add the shelled fava beans, crumbled feta and torn mint leaves. Toss to combine. Taste for seasoning.
- For each serving, place 2 lamb chops onto a plate. Top with the feta salad.