Chew fan Nicole Meyer submitted this yummy, "adult" Mac & Cheese. What makes it grown up? It's lighter than your average mac and cheese.
Grown Up Mac and Cheese
- 1/2 Cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 Cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 Cup fat-free or low-fat half & half
- 2 Teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 Cups whole-grain pasta (elbows or shells)
- 1 Cup broccoli florets (chopped)
- 1 zucchini (diced)
- 1 - 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 shallots (finely chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 2 plum tomatoes (sliced)
- 1 Egg beaten
- 1/4 Cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 Cup sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1 Cup gruyere cheese (shredded)
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- In a large Dutch oven, cook pasta according to directions, in well-salted water. Drain and reserve.
- Place Dutch oven back on heat, and heat oil. Sauté shallots, broccoli, garlic & zucchini until they become tender. Add cooked pasta to veggies and stir.
- Combine yogurt, nutmeg, cottage cheese, dijon mustard, half & half, and egg in a bowl. Pour into pasta and vegetable mixture and add 1/2 cup of each of your 2 cheeses. Reserve the rest for topping.
- Mix everything together and sprinkle bread crumbs and remaining cheese all over the top. Arrange tomato slices all over the top.
- Bake covered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes; broil uncovered for an additional 10 minutes or until the top is browned.