This Greek sandwich is great for a snack, lunch or even dinner.
- step-by-step directions
- For the Roasted Lamb:
- 6 shallots (minced)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 6- pound bone-in leg of lamb
For Tzatziki Sauce:
- 2 cups greek yogurt
- 1 cucumber
- kosher salt (to taste)
- 2 lemons (juiced and zested)
- 2 tablespoons Chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- 18 pitas
- 3 Roma tomatoes (sliced)
- 1 head Romaine (shaved)
- 2 Spring onions (green and whites shaved)
- For the Roasted Lamb: Mix together in a medium bowl the shallots, garlic, rosemary, oregano, sugar, coriander, red pepper flakes, and salt. Rub the mixture all over the surface of the lamb. Place in a large glass baking dish, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the lamb from the baking dish, rinse off the seasonings, and pat dry. Let the lamb sit a room temperature for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Heat a roasting pan or large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add the lamb and brown on all sides, 7 to 10 minutes. Transfer the lamb, fat side up, to a roasting rack set into a roasting pan. If you have extra rosemary lay the sprigs over the lamb with a drizzle of olive oil over the top. Roast until the lamb reaches an internal temperature of 140F, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove the lamb from the pan and set it aside to rest for 20 minutes. Slice lamb into thin strips.
- For Tzatziki Sauce: Put the yogurt in cheesecloth lined-lined strainer set over a bowl and let drain for 24 hours in the refrigerator. Peel and dice the cucumber, sprinkle it with salt and place in a strainer at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours to drain.
- Stir together the yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice and zest, mint, garlic, and shallot in a medium bowl until thoroughly combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- For Assembly: Wrap pitas in damp paper towel, and warm in microwave or oven. Top pita with lamb, sauce, lettuce, tomatoes and spring onions as desired. Wrap sandwich in foil.
rate this recipe
Cannelloni al Forno
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Italian Egg Boat
Waffle Pies with Herbed Eggs