Dig into this tasty Halloween treat.
Trick or Treat Mac and Cheese
- 1 pound Bacon (diced)
- 1 Onion (diced)
- 1 Butternut squash (peeled and diced)
- 2 cups black kale (deribbed and chopped)
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1/3 cup Half and Half
- 1 teaspoon Nutmeg (freshly grated)
- 1 pound Rigatoni
- 1 1/2 cups Gruyere
- 1/2 cup Mascarpone
- 2 cups Bread Crumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chipotle powder
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 cup parsley (chopped)
- Bring 6 quarts of water to boil in a large pot. Add 2 tablespoons of salt. Cook the rigatoni in boiling water until tender. Drain, then set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp. Add the butter to the bacon fat, then sweat the onion, butternut squash, kale and garlic until translucent, then add flour to make roux. Slowly pour in the milk and half and half while mixing, and bring mixture to simmer. Stir in the butternut squash puree. Cook gently until the mixture thickens, about 4-5 minutes. Add in 1 cup of the gruyere and grate in the nutmeg, and constantly stir until all of the cheese is melted. Add the mascarpone and mix until melted and combined. Stir in the chipotle and add the cooked rigatoni. Toss pasta until it is well mixed.
- Turn on the broil on the oven.
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the casserole. Place the Dutch oven on a rack 6 inches from the heating source. Broil for about 1 minute, or until the topping is crunchy and golden.
- Garnish with parsley and serve in the Dutch oven.