Stuffed with manchego and and ham, these salty bites are impossible to resist.
- step-by-step directions
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1 cup Cooked Ham (Finely Chopped)
- 3/4 cup Flour (Plus More for Breading)
- 4 cups Whole Milk
- freshly ground Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated Nutmeg
- 1 cup Manchego Cheese (Finely Shredded)
- Oil for Frying (Vegetable or Peanut)
- 6 Eggs (beaten)
- 2 cups Panko Bread Crumbs
- Place a heavy bottomed enameled pot over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add the butter and olive oil. Cook, stirring occasionally for 2 to 3 minutes. Next whisk in the flour. When all of the flour has absorbed, slowly whisk in 1 cup of the milk. Whisk until no more lumps appear then whisk in the rest of the milk. Season with 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg and freshly ground black pepper. Bring the milk to a gentle boil while whisking then reduce the heat to low. Cook, stirring frequently for 30 minutes. Next mix in the cheese and stir until completely melted. Mix in the ham, then pour the mix into a 13x9 pan and chill thoroughly, about 3 hours.
- Heat a large dutch oven filled halfway up with oil to 360 degrees F. While the oil is heating, form your croquettas: Using a 1 tablespoon measuring spoon, scoop out the chilled mixture in to balls. With floured hands, roll them, and then place on a baking sheet or plate while you finish the rest. They can be kept in the refrigerator at this point until ready to bread and fry.
- Set up a breading station with flour, egg and breadcrumb. Dredge the balls in the flour, then beaten egg, then breadcrumbs, shaking off any excess.
- Drop in to the heated oil and fry for 1 to 2 minutes per side, moving them around until completely golden brown. Remove from the oil and season lightly with salt. Wait a few minutes to eat these as they are really hot.
The Garibaldi Wallbanger
Swiss Chard and Ricotta Bruschetta
Lobster Roll and Quick-Pickled Cucumber Salad
Spaghetti with Ramps and Pecorino
Black-Eyed Peas and Pimento Cheese Nachos
Pork with Gingered Plums
Spicy Fried Shrimp
Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding
Blackberry Ricotta Pizza
Flourless Chocolate Cake with Peanut Brittle
Peach and Sriracha Chicken Over Coconut Rice