Grilled Steak with Lemon-Thyme Mushrooms
Mario Batali's Hanger Steak with Hen of the Woods
- 1 pound Hen of the Woods Mushrooms
- 2 ounces Lardo (thin slices)
- 1 Shallot (minced)
- 1 clove Garlic (minced)
- 1 .5-2 pounds Hanger Steak
- Olive Oil
- Salt and freshly ground Pepper
For the Lemon Thyme Vinaigrette:
- 4 tablespoons White Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 cup minced Shallot
- 4 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- zest of 1 Lemon
- 2/3 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Thyme (chopped)
- Grana Padano (shaved to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Preheat a grill or grillpan over medium high heat.
- Remove large stems from mushrooms, being careful to keep them intact however. If there is any dirt, remove with damp towel or pastry brush. Place mushrooms on half sheet tray. Drizzle lightly with olive oil, then season heavily with salt and pepper. Sprinkle shallots and garlic evenly over the mushrooms, then drape the lardo evenly over them. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes. Turn the sheet tray at 10 minute intervals.
- Season the hanger steak generously with salt and freshly ground pepper. Lightly oil the grilling surface. Grill the steak 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium rare. Rest 10 minutes before serving.
- For the Lemon Thyme Vinaigrette: Meanwhile, whisk together all of the vinaigrette ingredients, except for the oil. While whisking, gradually adding the oil to emulsify.
- For Assembly: To serve mushrooms, toss the roasted mushrooms with 1/2 cup of vinaigrette. Garnish with shaved grana padano.