Michael Symon's Hash Browns
- 4 large Russet Potatoes (scrubbed clean)
- Kosher Salt
- freshly ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 large Egg (beaten)
- 2 tablespoons Flour
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil (plus more for coating)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Prick potatoes with a fork on all sides. Rub potatoes with vegetable oil until lightly coated and sprinkle generously with salt. Place potatoes on a baking sheet fitted with a wire rack. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven an allow potatoes to cool. When there is no more steam coming off of the potatoes, place them in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, or until they are completely cooled.
- After the potatoes have cooled, shred them onto a sheet tray using the largest hole on your box grater. You want to shred them lengthwise, producing long strands of shredded potato rather than short. After all the potatoes are shredded, you will have about 5 heaping cups - transfer them to a large mixing bowl. Add 2 teaspoons of kosher salt, some freshly cracked black pepper, the paprika and the beaten egg. Gently mix everything using a fork. You don’t want to overwork the potatoes or turn this mixture in to a gluey paste. Next add the flour and gently mix in. Shape into patties on a clean work surface, about 1/2-inch thick. You may freeze the patties at this point to use later.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. When the pan is hot add the vegetable oil. Place hash brown patties in a single layer with spacing around them. Pan fry for 1 minute per side or until golden brown then remove to a paper towel and season with kosher salt. Serve immediately.
Similar categories: Breakfast & Brunch