Panko Encrusted Veal
Mario Batali's Hazelnut Veal Milanese
- 2 pounds Veal Scallopini (pounded 1/4-inch thin)
- Salt and freshly Ground Pepper
- 1 cup Flour
- 3 Eggs (beaten)
- 1/2 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Chopped Hazelnuts
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- Lemon Wedges to garnish
For the Salad:
- 1 Lemon (juiced)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- pinch Salt
- 1/2 Small Red Onion (very thinly sliced)
- 1/2 bunch Parsley (leaves)
- 1 Granny Smith Apple (very thinly sliced)
- 1/4 cup Toasted Hazelnuts
- Arrange 3 shallow dishes in a row, one with flour, the next with beaten eggs, and the final with panko breadcrumbs and chopped hazelnuts. Season the flour with salt.
- Season the veal with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Dip each piece of veal in to the flour, then the egg, and then the hazelnut-panko, being sure to shake off any excess at each stage.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat and add the olive oil and butter. Once the butter has foamed and subsided and began to brown slightly, add the breaded veal. Cook on one side without moving around too much for about 2 to 3 minutes, until golden brown. Carefully flip and cook on the other side for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate.
- For the Salad: In a large bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, dijon mustard, olive oil, and a pinch of salt to taste. Add the onion, parsley, apple, and hazelnuts and toss everything to coat.
- Arrange the veal on a platter, and serve the salad over the cutlets. Garnish with extra lemon wedges, and serve.
Similar categories: Dinner