Grilled Chicken with Potatoes and Asparagus
Carla Hall's Herb Chicken with Smash Potatoes and Grilled Asparagus
- 1 Whole Chicken (cut into 8 pieces)
- 3 Garlic cloves (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh Thyme leaves
- 2 Lemons (zest and juice)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and freshly cracked Black Pepper
- 2 pounds Red Skinned Potatoes (about 2 inches a piece)
- 1 bunch Asparagus (cleaned and trimmed)
- In a large bowl stir together the garlic, herbs, lemon zest and season with salt and pepper. Stir in enough olive oil to form a loose paste, about 1/2 cup. Reserve a few tablespoons of the mixture in a small bowl.
- Add the chicken to the large bowl and toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge to marinate for a few hours or overnight. If making right away, leave the chicken out at room temperature while preparing the grill and sides.
- Heat grill or grill pan to medium-high.
- Meanwhile, place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with two inches of water. Bring to a boil and cook for 12 to15 minutes or until fork tender. Drain and allow to cool. Place potatoes on a cutting board and smash gently with the palm of your hand. Potatoes should remain intact.
- Remove chicken from marinade and place on the grill skin side down. Add the potatoes to the cooler side of the grill. Cook chicken for 6 to 8 minutes on the first side or until crispy and charred and flip to cook on the other side. The potatoes should char lightly and be ready to flip in about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Once potatoes are lightly charred on the second side remove and toss in a bowl with the reserved herb mixture. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Drizzle asparagus with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on the cool side of the grill and cook until slightly tender, about 2 minutes.
- Cut the zested lemons in half and place on the hot side of the grill to char for 1 minute.
- Remove chicken from the grill when the juices run clear and internal temperature is 160 degrees F.
- Platter chicken, potatoes and asparagus together and squeeze the charred lemons over the top of all of it.
Similar categories: Dinner