Bake this holiday treat before guests arrive, and serve warm with a generous scoop of ice cream for ultimate flavor.
Apple Brown Betty
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 7 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 6 medium Empire apples
- 1/2 lemon (juice and zest)
- 4 cups cubed day-old biscuits (bread or cake)
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly gratednutmeg
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- vanilla ice cream (to serve)
- For the Biscuits: Preheat the oven to 450ºF.
- Combine the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda together in the bowl of a food processor, and pulse until combined. Add the butter, and pulse it a few more times, until the butter is thoroughly cut into the flour mixture. Add the yogurt and pulse the mixture a couple more times to mix it in, just until the mixture forms into a cohesive dough. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and kneed it 10 times. If the dough is too sticky, add a little flour, though the dough should be a somewhat sticky.
- Press the dough to 3/4-inch thickness and cut into rounds using a glass or biscuit cutter, pressing straight down without twisting. Place biscuits on an ungreased parchment lined sheet tray. Reshape the remaining dough and cut into biscuits. Bake for 7 to 9 minutes, or until the biscuits are light golden brown.
- For the Brown Betty: Preheat the oven to 300ºF.
- Peel and core the apples and cut them into 3/4-inch slices. Transfer to a large bowl, zest the lemon and squeeze the juice over the apple slices and toss gently to cover the apples and keep them from browning before baking. Set aside.
- On a 12-by-17-inch baking sheet, arrange the biscuit cubes or bread in one layer and bake on the center rack of the oven until lightly brown, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small saucepan. When the biscuit cubes are done, transfer them to a large bowl, pour half of the melted butter, and toss together. Set aside.
- Add the sugar, nutmeg and cloves to the apples and gently toss together. Raise the oven temperature to 375ºF.
- Place one third of the toasted biscuit cubes on the bottom of a 9-inch square baking dish. Top with half the apple slices. Top with another one third of the biscuit cubes and then the remaining apples. Top the apples with the remaining biscuit cubes. Pour the remaining butter over everything. Bake on the center rack for 30 minutes, until the top is nicely browned.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
- Brown Betty is best made the same day you are going to serve it as once you cover and store it, it loses its consistency.
Similar categories: Ingredients Fruit Apples Courses & Meals Desserts Crisps, Crumbles, Cobblers, & More