- step-by-step directions
- 1 pound Granny Smith Apples
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- Cut the apples into quarters (do not peel or core them as most of the pectin is stored here). Put the apples in a large pot and add the vinegar and water. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cover with a lid. Cook for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and then put the apples through a ricer.
- Add the apple puree to a heavy bottomed pot and add the sugar, salt, cinnamon, allspice and lemon juice and zest. Cook over low heat until thick and smooth (about an hour). Stir frequently to prevent the apple puree from sticking.
- Use within the first 3-4 days after making, or store in the freezer.
Camp Stew (Budae Jiggae)
Salmon with Chimichurri Sauce and Cauliflower Mash
Cornmeal Apple Crumble Skillet
Pork and Beef Meatballs
Savory Rye French Toast with Corned Beef Hash and Cheddar Onion Butter
Paella with Chorizo, Shrimp, Calamari, Mussels, Green Peas, and Curry Butter
Strawberry Linzer Cheesecake
Ricotta Gnudi with Brown Butter and Sage
BBQ Pork Dumplings