Oat and Apple Muffins
Daphne Oz's Apple Cinnamon Muffins
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 2 Empire or Honey Crisp Apples (small dice)
- 2 cups Quick-Cooking Rolled Oats (divided)
- 1 1/4 cups Flour (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly Ground Nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 cup packed Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg (whisked)
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a regular size 12 count muffin tin with cooking spray. In a medium saute pan, heat butter over medium-high heat until the milk solids begin to turn light golden. Swirl the pan until the milk solids all achieve a golden color. Add the apples and saute for 2 minutes just to soften slightly. Remove from heat.
- Pulse half of the oats in a food processor until flour-like. In a medium bowl combine the 1 cup flour, oatmeal flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, 1/2 cup oats, salt, and sugar. Whisk to combine. Stir in the whisked egg and buttermilk. Once combined stir in the cooked apples in butter.
- In a second bowl combine the coconut oil, remaining oats and remaining flour in a bowl. Using your hands to turn into a nice streusel like mixture. Evenly pour batter into prepared muffin tin. Top with streusel topping.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Allow muffins to cool in pan. Serve with Apple and Strawberry butter.