Oat and Apple Muffins
Apple Cinnamon Muffins
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 Empire or Honey Crisp apples (small dice)
- 2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats (separated)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (separated)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Grease a 12-count muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a medium saute pan, heat butter over medium-high heat until the milk solids begin to turn light golden. Swirl the pan until the milk solids all achieve a golden color. Add the apples and saute for 2 minutes just to soften slightly. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Pulse half of the oats in a food processor until very fine.
- In a medium bowl, combine the processed oatmeal, 1/2 cup whole oats, 1 cup flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar and salt. Whisk to combine. Add the egg and buttermilk, and whisk to combine. Add the cooked apples and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine the coconut oil, remaining oats and remaining flour. Squeeze the mixture together to make a coarse, streusel-like mixture.
- Divide batter into prepared muffin tin. Top with streusel topping.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Allow muffins to cool in pan. Serve with Apple Butter.