Chanukah is all about tradition, but your potato pancakes don't have to be. Try something new this year with Mario's celery root cakes.
- 1/2 pound Celeriac (peeled and grated)
- 2 pounds Russet Potatoes (peeled and grated)
- 1/2 cup grated White Onion
- 2 Eggs
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 6 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Granny Smith Apples (sliced thinly)
- 2 teaspoons Celery Seed
- 3 tablespoons Mascarpone (for garnish)
- Mix together the celeriac, potato, onion and egg whites. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a saute pan over medium high heat, add about 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Scoop about 2 tablespoons of mixture and flatten into a pancake (about 3 inches in diameter) in the pan. Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Work in batches, adding more oil to the pan when necessary.
- In another pan over medium high heat, add another 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Once hot, toss in the apples, season with the celery seed, salt and pepper. Toss to coat in oil and let sit in the pan. Let caramelize slightly. Only cook for 2-3 minutes, so there is still a bite to the apples.
- Top each latke with a bit of the sauteed apples and a dollop of mascarpone.