A fresh, festive dish for the holidays!
Beef Tenderloin with Pomegranate Fennel Salad
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons rosemary (finely chopped, plus sprigs for garnish)
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (plus more)
- 1 beef tenderloin (about 3 pounds, tied with butcher's twine every few inches)
- 2 oranges
- 2 bulbs fennel (stalks cut into 3 inch pieces, bulbs and fronds reserved)
- 2 sprigs thyme (plus more for garnish)
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1/4 cup pomegranate syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- In a small bowl, combine the fennel seeds, rosemary, salt, pepper and olive oil, making a loose paste. Rub the tenderloin thoroughly with the paste. Slice one orange into 1/4-inch thick slices and add them to a medium mixing bowl. Add the fennel stalks and thyme sprigs, and drizzle generously with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add these to the bottom of a roasting pan, spreading evenly. Place the tenderloin on top of the fennel-orange mixture. Place the roasting pan in the oven and cook until the internal temperature of the roast is 125ºF (for medium rare), about 25 minutes. Remove the tenderloin to a cutting board and let rest for at least 10 minutes. Remove kitchen twine and discard. Transfer the vegetables to a serving platter. Garnish with fresh orange slices and fresh rosemary sprigs.
- Meanwhile, place the roasting rack on the stove over medium heat. Add the wine and with a wooden spoon, scrape up the bits on the bottom of the pan. Once the wine has reduced by half, add the beef stock and pomegranate syrup. Reduce only slightly, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in the butter. Pour the sauce into a gravy boat.
- Slice the tenderloin into 1/2-inch slices and place over the roasted vegetables. Pour some warm gravy over the meat. Serve alongside the Pomegranate Fennel Salad.
- For the Pomegranate Fennel Salad: Using a mandolin or a sharp knife, thinly slice or shave the fennel bulbs. Add to a large bowl of ice water. Set aside. In a separate, large, mixing bowl, add the zest of an orange. Using a sharp knife, remove the skin from the orange and discard. Segment the orange and add it to the bowl along with the juice of 2 lemons, 1/4 cup of olive oil, pomegranate seeds and the reserved, shaved fennel. Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Garnish with chopped fennel fronds.