Brussels Sprouts Salad
Carla Hall's Brussels Sprouts with Dried Figs and Pancetta
- 8 ounces Pancetta (small dice)
- 2 pounds Brussels Sprouts (stems trimmed)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped Onion
- 2 cups Dried Figs
- Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
- 4 teaspoons Balsamic Vinegar (or more to taste)
- Put a large skillet over medium heat and add oil, then the pancetta. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the onion and cook until the onion begins to color and the pancetta is medium-crisp.
- Meanwhile, slice the sprouts as thinly as possible. Add sprouts, figs and 1/4 cup water to pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Turn heat to medium, and cook, undisturbed, until sprouts and figs are nearly tender—adding more water as needed until tenderness is achieved—about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Turn heat to medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally, until any remaining water evaporates, another 5 to 10 minutes. Add vinegar, and adjust seasoning. Serve.