Cake Morsels with Ice Cream and Hazelnuts
Carla Hall's Buche de Noel Bites
- For the Cake:
- 7 large Eggs (separated)
- 1 1/2 cups Granulated Sugar (divided)
- 2 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
- 3/4 cup Whole Milk
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
For the Filling:
- 1 8- ounce jar Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
- 1 pint Chocolate Ice Cream
- 1/2 cup Hazelnuts (toasted and coarsely chopped)
For the Toppings:
- Whipped Cream
- Melted Chocolate
- For the Cake: Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line three half sheet pans with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whip the egg whites to soft peaks. Add 1/2 cup of sugar gradually, continue beating the whites until stiff peaks form. Set whites aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the dry ingredients, including the remaining one cup of sugar. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix the egg yolks, oil, milk and vanilla flavoring until well blended. Mix on medium speed until lightened & pale lemon colored. Add the dry ingredients and continue to mix, about 1 minute until well incorporated. Remove the bowl from the mixer. Using a large spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the batter, 1/3 at a time. Carefully incorporate the whites so as not to knock the air out of them. Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown on top and the cake begins to pull away from the sides of the pan slightly.
- Let the cake cool for 10 minutes and then remove the cake from the pan. Divide the cake into 4 pieces, making a cut down the middle lengthwise and a perpendicular cut down the middle and transfer to parchment paper.
- For the Filling: Working with one piece at a time, pipe the chocolate hazelnut spread into a thin layer over the cake. Cut the ice cream into rectangles the size of your forefinger (1/2-inch by 3-inches). Use 2 to 3 ice cream rectangles and place them lengthwise at the edge of the cake. Sprinkle with the hazelnuts. Roll the cake away from you, using the parchment paper to prevent cracking and achieve a tight roll, forming an even cylinder (like sushi). Once rolled, place on a sheet tray and continue making and rolling the remaining 3 cakes. Place in the freezer and freeze for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Once completely frozen, remove from the freezer and slice into bite size pieces, about 1-inch pieces.
- For the Toppings: Serve with a dollop of whipped cream, a drizzle of chocolate sauce and a sprinkle of chopped hazelnuts.