Chocolate Shortbread with Jam
The Chew's Chocolate Thumbprints
- 1 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar (plus 1/2 cup for rolling)
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Dutch-process Cocoa Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 6 tablespoons melted Unsalted Butter
- 2 large Eggs (beaten)
- 1/2 cup Confectioners' Sugar
- 1/2 cup your favorite Jam
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together the flour, 3/4 cup granulated sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Stir in the melted butter and eggs. Work until a dough is formed and then cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes, or until the dough is firm.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment. Put the confectioners sugar and the remaining granulated sugar in 2 separate bowls. Scoop scant tablespoonfuls of the dough and then roll them into balls. Then roll each ball first in the granulated sugar and then in the confectioners sugar. Place 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets. Lightly flatten each ball with the palm of your hand and then with your fingers, or the back of a wooden spoon, make a well in the center of the cooking.
- Put the jam in a piping back, or a zip top bag. Pipe the raspberry jam into the cookies, but do not overfill.
- Bake the cookies until puffed and slightly cracked, about 10 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to racks to cool completely.