Use this cocktail sauce as the base of your Bloody Mary!
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely minced)
- 1 fresno chili (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 can whole, peeled San Marzano tomatoes (28 ounces, crushed by hand)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (plus more to taste)
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- 2 tablespoons horseradish (freshly grated)
- 2 tablespoons chives (finely chopped)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place a medium-sized saucepan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil, onion, garlic, fresno chili and a large pinch of salt. Saute for about 8 minutes, until soft and translucent. Add the sherry vinegar and reduce until almost completely evaporated. Add the tomatoes, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce. Stir to combine, bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add the hot sauce, lemon juice, zest and horseradish. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to serving bowl and garnish with the chopped chives.