Holiday Gingerbread House
The Ultimate Gingerbread House
- step-by-step directions
Holiday Gingerbread House
- For the Gingerbread Cookies:
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg teaspoons 1/4 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg Ground Ginger 1/4 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter (room temperature)
- 3 tablespoons Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Unsulphured Molasses
- 1 Egg
For the Royal Icing:
- 1 pound Confectioners Sugar
- 5 tablespoons Meringue Powder
- 1/4 cup Water
- Food Coloring
For the Rice Crispy Treats:
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 5 ounces Marshmallow
- Brown Food Coloring
- 3 cups Rice Puff Cereal
For the Colored Shredded Coconut:
- 2 cups Shredded Coconut
- Food Coloring
For the Gingerbread House:
- 2 Templates Templates batches Gingerbread Cookie Recipe Templates
- Royal Icing
- Clean firm base for gingerbread house
- Wooden skewers or cans
- Tooth Picks
- Rice Crispy Treats
- Ice Cream Cones
- Shredded Coconut
For the Assorted Candies:
- Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
- Licorice Bites Licorice Bites Candy-Coated Chocolates Licorice Bites
- Brownie Bites
- Marshmallow Rope
- For the Gingerbread Cookies: In a bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: the flour, spices, baking soda and salt. Set aside. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until smooth, then beat in the molasses and egg. To prevent the molasses from sticking to the measuring cup, spray with nonstick spray before measuring out the molasses.
- Beat in the dry ingredients, and beat only until a dough forms. Divide the dough in half, and wrap each half in floured plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least two hours, or up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Roll dough out to a thickness of about 1/4" on floured parchment paper. Using the templates on the chew.com, carefully cut out the dough. Transfer the parchment paper with the cut outs to a baking sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack, let cool completely.
- For the Royal Icing: In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together sugar and meringue powder until combined. Add the water and beat at a medium speed until very glossy and stiff peaks form. If the icing fails to create the right consistency, add more sugar or water. Add food coloring and stir until the desired color is reached. Place into a pastry bag and use immediately.
- For the Rice Crispy Treats: In a saucepan, melt the butter stir in the marshmallows over medium low heat. Stir continuously until melted. Add 2 to 3 drops of brown food coloring and stir until incorporated. Add the rice cereal in batches and stir until all the cereal is coated in marshmallow. Press into a rimmed baking sheet and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- For the Colored Shredded Coconut: Place shredded coconut into a ziptop bag, add food coloring and seal shut. Shake until the food coloring is evenly distributed. Be careful, this will stain.
- For the Gingerbread House: Gather all the materials. On a clean firm base, begin building the gingerbread house. Pipe the frosting onto the shortest side of one of the triangular pieces, and place it onto the base. Use a wooden skewer or can to hold it in place until the icing firms up.
- Next, pipe frosting onto the other two sides of the triangle and attach the short side of each of the rectangles to each side of the triangle to create the roof.
- Pipe a line of frosting onto the top of the roof to seal the gap. Finally, pipe icing around each side of the remaining triangles, and place it onto the open end of the house. Using an offset spatula or butter knife, smooth out any excess frosting.
- For the towers, using a 2-inch ring mold, cut out rounds of brown rice crispy treats. Stack them to your desired height, and then cut out triangles to attach the towers to the angle of the roof. Use royal icing to adhere the triangles to the roof and towers. Place an upside down ice cream cone on the towers.
- For the Assorted Candies: Allow the house to set for about 3 hours. Use candy and colored icings to decorate the house!
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat
Waffle Pies with Herbed Eggs
Chai Tea Oatmeal