Cheese and Vegetable Casserole
Clinton Kelly's Green Bean Casserole with Caramelized Onions and Puff Pastry
- 1 1/2 pounds Green Beans (ends trimmed; cut into roughly 1-inch pieces)
- 2 large Sweet Yellow Onions (halved and sliced)
- 1 minced Garlic clove
- 1/2 cup White Wine
- 3 tablespoons Butter (divided)
- 2 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour (plus more for rolling)
- 1 3/4 cups Whole Milk
- 8 ounces high quality shredded Cheddar blend
- 1 tablespoon Dijon
- 3 dashes Hot Sauce
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (divided)
- 1 sheet Frozen Puff Pastry (thawed)
- 1 Egg (beaten)
- Kosher Salt and freshly cracked Black Pepper
- Melt one tablespoon of butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat add onions and salt. Cook until brown and caramelized. Add garlic, cook for one minute, or until garlic is soft. Deglaze pan with white wine, and then reduce by half.
- Meanwhile, blanch green beans in salted boiling water. Plunge green beans into an ice bath. Drain beans, and then toss in pan with onions until beans are coated with onions and wine reduction. Transfer mixture to a 9x13 casserole dish. Set aside.
- For the sauce, melt the remaining two tablespoons of butter in saucepan, add flour and cook, while whisking for a couple of minutes over medium heat, or until the mixture is golden brown. Slowly whisk in milk, and cook until thickened. Add mustard, cheddar, and two tablespoons parmesan stir until melted. Add salt, pepper, and a few dashes of hot sauce to taste.
- Pour cheese mixture over beans and onions. Press down with spoon to create an even layer. On a floured surface, roll out puff pastry to the size of the casserole dish. Cover dish with one sheet of puff pastry, folding the edges over the side. Brush egg wash over puff pastry, sprinkle with parmesan cheese and black pepper.
- Place dish on a baking sheet and bake in 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.