A simple and delicious holiday ham!
Michael Symon's Holiday Ham
- 1 1 1/2- pound ham steak
- 1 large Spanish onion (sliced thinly)
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup parsley (chopped)
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pan over medium high heat, add about 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Carefully add the ham steak to the pan sear for about 2 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Scatter the onions around the ham. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until deep golden brown.
- Once the ham is golden, remove and deglaze the pan with white wine.
- Reduce by about half, then stir in the mustard and hot sauce. Add the butter and flour and swirl the pan to emulsify.
- Adjust seasoning and at the last moment, off the heat, stir in the parsley.
- Serve the ham with the white wine sauce and caramelized onions.