An Italian Food Lovers Dream
Michael Symon's Mom's Lasagna
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 onion
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound pork neck bones
- 1 pound veal
- 1 pound beef
- 1 pound spicy Italian sausage (loose or removed from the casing)
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 4 cups chopped peeled tomatoes (or 1 - 28 ounce can San Marzano tomatoes) with their juice
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 pound dried lasagna noodles
- 2 pounds whole-milk ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley leaves
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup fresh oregano leaves
- 2 large eggs
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese (grated)
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and a three-finger pinch of salt and sweat them until they are translucent about 2 minutes. Add the neck bones and brown them, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground veal, beef and sausage, season with another healthy pinch of salt, and continue cooking until the meat is browned, about 10 minutes. Add the white wine, tomatoes and their juice and the bay leaves, scraping the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon, making sure to get all of the browned bits into the sauce.
- Season the sauce with salt and simmer for 2 hours over medium heat. Remove the bay leaves and neck bones and let cool. Skim any fat that rises to the surface.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add enough salt so tha it tastes seasoned and allow the water to return to a boil. Add the noodles and cook until al dente. Drain well and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl mix together the ricotta, parsley, basil, oregano and eggs with a pinch of salt. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a lasagna pan-9 x 13 inches is optimal – ladle about 1 cup of sauce on the bottom. Arrange a layer of noodles on this followed by a layer of sauce and then some ricotta mixture, smoothing it with a spatula to the edges. Repeat the process until the pan is full. Finish with a final layer of noodles, sauce, mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Cover the lasagna with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour. Uncover and bake for 30 minutes. Let cool before cutting and serving.